Product ID: 710
Product Type: Capsule
|Item #||Size||Label (PDF)|
Valerian is an herb. It is native to Europe and parts of Asia, but also grows in North America. Medicinal applications use the root. Valerian is most commonly used for sleep disorders, especially the inability to sleep (insomnia). Valerian is also used orally for anxiety and psychological stress, but there is limited scientific research to support these uses.
Valerian has been used as a medicinal herb since at least the time of ancient Greece and Rome. Its therapeutic uses were described by Hippocrates, and in the 2nd century, Galen prescribed valerian for insomnia. In the 16th century, it was used to treat nervousness, trembling, headaches, and heart palpitations. In the mid-19th century, valerian was considered a stimulant and during World War II, it was used in England to relieve the stress of air raids.
- 125 mg Valerian root extract 4:1 (Valeriana officinalis)
- Equivalent to 500 mg of Valerian root powder
- Contains No: sugar, salt, dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors
- The scientists at Hoffman-LaRoche studied ‘Valeric Acid”, the active of Valerian in developing what The Rolling Stones called “Mother’s Little Helper”. That “little yellow pill” went on to become the world’s first Billion Dollar drug—Valium.†
- Numerous studies show that taking valerian can reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep by about 15 to 20 minutes. Valerian also seems to improve sleep quality. Doses of 400-900 mg of valerian extract taken up to 2 hours before bed seem to work best. Continuous use for several days, even up to four weeks, may be needed before an effect is noticeable.†
- Some studies show that valerian can help improve sleep when combined with other herbs, including hops and lemon balm. Taking valerian might also improve the sleep quality of people who are withdrawing from the use of sleeping pills.†
- Some early research shows that taking valerian may reduce anxiety.†
- Early research shows that taking 255 mg of valerian three times daily for two menstrual cycles reduces pain and the need for other pain relievers during menstruation.†
- Taking valerian root extract seems to reduce the emotional, behavioral, and physical symptoms associated with PMS when started on the 21st day of the menstrual cycle and continued for 7 days.†