The macula is a portion of the retina responsible for central and fine vision. The macula pigments are predominantly composed of three carotenoids: lutein, zeaxanthin, and mesozeaxanthin. Lutemax® is a natural source of both lutein and zeaxanthin; mesozeaxanthin is generated from lutein and zeaxanthin within the retina. The dual nature of these plant pigments as blue-light filters and antioxidants has been extensively researched. Numerous studies support their safety and efficacy in supporting healthy vision.† Bilberry is added to provide synergistic benefits such as antioxidant and structural support.†
- Contains the patented and trademarked Lutemax® lutein extracted from marigolds.
- Lutemax® is a good source of lutein and zeaxanthin and provides ratios similar to those found in green vegetables.
- Bilberry extract is included for its synergistic effects.
- Lutein is a member of the carotenoid family. It accumulates in the macula portion of the retina and helps filter blue light thereby protecting the macula; part of the eye responsible for focus and fine vision.†
- This protection has been shown to help reduce the risk of macular degeneration.†
- Zeaxanthin is another important carotenoid that is chemically similar to lutein and works synergistically with lutein to help reduce the risk for macular degeneration.†
- Bilberry contains anthocyanosides, which provide antioxidant protection and help support normal, healthy eye structure. Bilberry helps protect the integrity of the small blood vessels that supply the eyes.†