Resveratrol is a polyphenol that is found in several plants including the skins of red grapes, blueberries, and to a lesser extent in peanuts. Resveratrol is produced by the plant for protection against environmental stress such as ultraviolet radiation, fluctuations in temperature as well as microorganisms like bacteria and fungi. Its potent antioxidant and cardioprotective properties have been well documented. In addition, scientists have discovered that resveratrol has the ability to activate a family of proteins known as Sirtuins. Sirtuins are a unique class of proteins whose activity is closely associated with lifespan. These proteins play a significant role in several biochemical and physiological processes in the body. Most recently, resveratrol has been shown to have a significant effect on a particular Sit ruin protein known as SIRT-1. This protein, when activated, helps regulate important aspects of cellular function, particularly that of the mitochondria-the energy powerhouse of the cell. Mitochondrial function has been linked to aging and disease. Resveratrol, by activating the SIRT-1 protein, may potentially mimic the well-established anti-aging effects of a very low-calorie diet. The combined effects of resveratrol help promote optimal health and healthy aging, by supporting normal, healthy cellular function.†
- Available in 100mg and 200mg trans-resveratrol per capsule.
- From 50% Standardized Polygonum cuspidatum root extract.
- Leucoselect® brand standardized grape seed extract from Indena; a world leader in botanical extracts.
- Resveratrol is well known for being a powerful antioxidant.
- In addition to its antioxidant potential, resveratrol affects biochemical processes that control the survival and metabolism of living cells.†
- Trans-resveratrol unlike the cis form is able to activate the Sirtuin family of proteins; particularly SIRT 1 proteins related to aging/lifespan.†
- By activating SIRT-1, resveratrol has been shown to mimic the well-documented anti-aging effects of calorie restriction.†
- Helps support mitochondrial function-healthy mitochondria are essential for normal, healthy cell function, particularly those of the cardiovascular and neurological systems.†
- Studies show by activating SIRT-1 resveratrol may help support insulin function and therefore help support normal, healthy glucose metabolism.†
- Resveratrol helps support overall cell metabolism which is essential for the utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.†