L-carnitine is a non-essential amino acid that can be synthesized in the body from the amino acids methionine and lysine. Insufficient amounts may be produced in infants, adolescents, and adults under certain physiological conditions. Vegetarians could also be at risk for carnitine deficiency, as carnitine is found in higher concentrations in animal foods such as beef, poultry, and pork. The amino acids that are required for the body to make carnitine (methionine and lysine) are also low in a vegetarian diet. The highest concentrations of L- carnitine are typically found in skeletal and cardiac muscle tissue. This tissue is incapable of synthesizing L-carnitine, so they depend upon dietary and supplemental sources as well as the body’s own ability to manufacture it. Studies show that exercising (skeletal) muscle and heart muscle requires large amounts of L-carnitine. The main function of L-L-carnitine is to help create energy. Cardiac (heart) and skeletal muscle have a significant energy requirement, hence the importance of L-carnitine for these tissues.†
- Provides 500mg L-carnitine per tablet along with vitamin B6.
- Featuring trademarked L-Carnipure® from Lonza, a world leader in L-carnitine research and manufacturing. Many of the studies done on L-carnitine have used L-Carnipure®.
- L-carnitine is essential for the transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria (the energy powerhouse of the cell) where they can be used to make energy to be used by the cells.†
- L-carnitine has been shown to help support healthy cardiovascular function, especially the efficiency of the heart muscle which uses fat as its major source of energy.†
- L-carnitine helps provide energy for exercising muscle, supporting exercise performance.†
- Studies show L-carnitine helps support normal, healthy blood triglyceride levels.†